Ginkaku-ji (Temple of the Silver Pavilion) is the more common name for Jisho-ji, a temple belonging to the Shokoku School of the Rinzai Zen sect of Buddhism. This popular tourist site was (along with 16 other sites in Kyoto) listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage site in 1994. Ginkaku-ji was not originally a temple. Ashikaga Yoshimasa (1436-1490), the 8th Ashikaga Shogun and grandson of Ashikaga Yoshimitsu (constructor of Kinkaku-ji, the temple of the golden pavilion) began construction in 1460 but was prevented from immediately completing his retirement villa due to the Onin Wars (1467-1477).
The Kannon hall is the main building at the temple. It is popularly known as Ginkaku, the Silver Pavilion. There is a popular account: “The intention was to cover it in silver, but due to the increasing severity of the Ōnin War, which broke out several years earlier in 1467, construction was halted, and the silver covering never placed on the pavilion”. However, time-honored trees and great stones which were collected from various places in Japan are used for the temple, thus, cost was spent luxuriously to build the temple. Therefore, it is difficult to consider that only the cost of the silver foil was saved. And, the silver has not been detected at all as for scientific researches done in January 2007. Therefore, the present appearance of the temple is thought as be based on the original intention of Ashikaga Yoshimasa, that is “wabi-sabi”.
跟着路径走，很快就来到 “银沙滩” 了。。